I can’t think of a soul who doesn’t like to see and help themselves to a beautifully presented cheeseboard. A collection of delicious nibbles – cheeses, crackers, fruit, nuts and wafer thin slices of cured meats, is a wonderful way to get a party started.
It isn’t difficult to get gorgeous results. It’s just a matter of following a few simple steps.
- Start with a good surface. I like using an extra large, vintage wooden cutting board lined with parchment paper.
- Establish the foundation by placing blocks of cheese first, making sure to use a mixture of different types of cheeses. I traditionally like hearty cheddar cheeses – extra sharp and smoked. A creamy Brie or Camembert (I buy 2 different sizes so I can stack them). Some sort of blue cheese. And you can never go wrong with a few firm cheeses like French Comte, Spanish Manchego, or Dutch Aged Gouda.
- Add sliced meats, like salami, pepperoni, and ribbons of prosciutto.
- Fill in with fruit. Clusters of washed and dried seedless grapes, Lady’s apples, clementines, sliced ripe pears dipped in acidulated water, figs, and my new fave, blackberries – unexpected and so delicious this time of year!
- Stack handfuls of assorted crackers into open spots. I love mixing it up with unusual textures and flavor combos, like pistachio & cranberry, cracked pepper & rosemary, etc.
- Add small containers filled with assorted nuts and dried fruit.
- Finish with touches of fresh herbs. Some of my go-to’s include sprigs of dill, thyme, rosemary, basil, and bay laurel leaves. They add beautiful color, texture and a heavenly scent!
- And lastly, don’t forget the cheese knives!
I promise you, all will enjoy!
Happy New Year to you! Cheers!