Go ahead – have another. That’s my motto these days when it comes to dark chocolate. Right about 3 p.m. I break out my dark chocolate stash for a little mid-afternoon boost – beats coffee.
For the holidays my friend Stacy (of Meadowsweet Mercantile in Philly – you can also check out her cool finds at http://www.etsy.com/shop/MeadowsweetVintage) sent me a perfect little care package that was a gift to the senses. One of the goodies originated from batch #102 in Portland, Oregon – a Woodblock Chocolate bar made up of 70% cacao. You can’t eat the whole thing at once. Well, I guess you can, if you want to stay awake for 24 hours! I prefer to break off a tiny bite at a time – the size of a nickel – and I’m all good.
Other than giving me a most satisfying nibble and then boost, it definitely lessens any cravings for foods that are not so good for me. And after a little bit of digging, I found these other health benefits – just FYI:
1. Full of antioxidants.
2. Helps reduce stress.
3. Boosts brain power – increases blood flow to the brain and helps cognitive function.
4. Improves your state of mind – stimulates the production of endorphins.
5. Good for your heart – helps to lower your blood pressure.
6. High in vitamins and minerals – Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, and Copper.
7. Helps to protect skin – the flavenoids help to absorb UV light and improves the hydration of your skin.
So now, with a clear conscience, I can tick this one off my vices list. I just have to remember – everything in moderation!
Leave a Reply