Cheese Straws that is. Over the holidays, I whipped up batches of these for nibbles until dinner was ready to be served…the perfect nosh for friends while they hung out in the kitchen. These Cheese Straws are good hot out of the oven or cold. But that night, they never had the chance to get too cold – they were snatched up and polished off as soon as I pulled them out of the oven.
That cheesy aroma and flavor was downright irresistible…perfect for Super Bowl Sunday!
Party Cheese Straws
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese (optional)
2 sheets of puff pastry – defrosted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- On a Silpat, wood or marble surface liberally sprinkle Parmesan cheese.
- Apply 1 puff pastry sheet to sprinkled surface, and with a rolling pin, roll out a little bit to make a little thinner.
- Sprinkle with Gruyere cheese and roll surface. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut pastry dough into 1/2-1-inch strips.
- Twist each strip and place on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Space about 1-inch apart.
- Bake about 10-15 minutes – until the straws are golden brown.
Repeat the process for the second sheet. Depending on how thinly you slice the strips, each pastry sheet yields about 20-30 cheese straws.